11:00 am - 12:30 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Toronto's First Post Office
260 Adelaide St. E.
Toronto, ON, Canada, M5A 1N1
Imagine a Toronto where the tallest building is only three stories high, where Lake Ontario reaches Front Street, where the wagon wheels grind through the muddy roads, the air smells of smoke and animal, and the surrounding lands is farms, fields, and forests. This was what the neighbourhood looked like in the early 1800s.
In this walking tour, explore the surviving built environment of the original 10 blocks of Toronto and discover how the Town of York, which started as a colonial outpost with a couple hundred residents, became the City of Toronto in 1834, with a population of just under 10,000.
Tours start and end at Toronto’s First Post Office. Tours run rain or shine, and may cover rough ground, so please dress accordingly. All ages are welcome. Dogs and bicycles are welcome as we walk, though portions of some tours may include indoor areas where they are restricted.
In gratitude to the Indigenous peoples of Tkaronto, the past and current stewards of this colonized land on which we work and play.
Please note that will be closely following the latest Ontario Public Health Covid-19 guidelines and recommendations. Any changes to the tour will be communicated to you as soon as possible.
- Tour attendance capacity is restricted at 10 people.
- Every person on the tour, including our tour guide, will be required to maintain a physical distance of two metres/six feet between each person
- Every person on the tour, including our tour guide, must wear a mask at all times (For those with medical conditions preventing them from wearing a mask, please contact us directly as virtual options are available)
- The name and contact information of every person on the tour will be recorded for contact tracing purposes.
- Every person on the tour will be required to self-monitor for symptoms of Covid-19 and complete a Covid Symptom Screening Form ahead of the actual tour.
We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who does not respect the above stated guidelines.