About the Post Office
Toronto’s First Post Office is operated by the Town of York Historical Society. The Society was born of the interest generated by the restoration of an historical block of buildings at Adelaide and George Streets, in downtown Toronto. These included the Bank of Upper Canada (1827), the De La Salle Building (1871), and Toronto’s First Post Office (1833). Many experts – architects, historians and curators – volunteered assistance during the restoration project. From this core group, the Town of York Historical Society was formed in February of 1983.
The Society now operates Toronto’s First Post Office as a museum, a National Historic Site and a post office.
Toronto’s First Post Office is an authorized full-service dealer for Canada Post. All current definitive and commemorative stamps are available. We also offer special philatelic services, including a pictorial cancel, a reproduction of Toronto’s first cancel (in red ink, as exclusively used by Toronto’s first Postmaster James Scott Howard), and US postage for return mail.
Acknowledgement of Traditional Lands
We acknowledge this sacred land on which Toronto’s First Post Office operates. It has been a site of human activity for 15,000 years.This land and it’s waterways are the traditional territory of many nations including the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and the Wendat people. It is covered by Treaty 13 with the Mississaugas of the Credit.
The territory was the subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement between the Iroquois Confederacy and Confederacy of the Ojibwe and allied nations to peaceably share and care for the resources around the Great Lakes.
Today, the meeting place of Toronto is still the home to many Indigenous people from across Turtle Island and we are truly grateful to have the opportunity to work in the community, on this territory.